Museum logo
Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Property Record of 9 Palestine Avenue
Catalog Number 2007.09.249
Scope & Content Property Record of 9 Palestine Avenue



- Lot 465 -


1878 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: Mrs. R.L. Sheeley, Dalton, Ohio/ 99 years from 21 August 1878/ Rent $250.00
1892 Chautauqua Assembly lease: J.F. Hunt
1896 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Margaret A. Golding
1901 Estate: Margaret A. Golding died testate/ Daughter, Nellie A. Golding, Executrix and legatee, Chautauqua, NY
1901 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Nellie A. Golding
19?? Lot split into: Westerly 25' to go with Lot 464 and Easterly 15' to go with Lot 466 (Presbyterian House)
1917 Chautauqua Institution lease: Presbyterian Association (E 15')


- Lot 466 only -


1877 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: J.M. Edwards, Franklin, PA/ 99 years from 20 August 1877/ Term rent $238.00
1889 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Presbyterian Headquarters Committee
1890 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Presbyterian Association of Chautauqua..."The building thereon to be used as library and reading rooms and for holding social, literary and religious meetings and not otherwise... if used for any other purpose...or shall cease to be used for the aforesaid...this lease shall thereupon become null and void and the premises and all buildings thereon shall revert to said Chautauqua Assembly." Note: This Reversionary Clause is found in all denominational leases.
1917 Chautauqua Institution lease: Presbyterian Association


- Lot 467 only -

1877 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: F.D. Carley, Louisville, KY/ 99 years from 15 August 1877/ Term rent $250.00
1882 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: Lewis Miller, Akron, Ohio
1890 Lot split into Easterly 20' to go with Lot 468 and Westerly 20' to go with Lot 466 (Presbyterian House)
1890 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Presbyterian Association
1917 Chautauqua Institution lease: Presbyterian Association/ (W 20')


- Lot 470 only -

1877 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: John W. Crawford, Sheakleyville, PA/ 99 years from 15 August 1877/ Term rent $200.00
1891 Assigned: Chautauqua Assembly/ Consideration $750.00/ "...to include all furniture in the cottage."
1891 Lot split into Easterly 37' to go with Lot 469 and Westerly 3' to go with Lot 471 (Presbyterian House)
1907 Chautauqua Institution lease: Presbyterian Association/ (W 3")


- Lot 471 only -

1877 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: Mrs. N.S. Butler, Olean, NY/ 99 years from 21 August 1877/ Term rent $200.00/ 157/70
1890 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Presbyterian Association
1917 Chautauqua Institution lease: Presbyterian Association


- Lot 472 only -

1878 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: D.A. McElheney, Franklin, PA/ 99 years from 22 August 1878/ Term rent $200.00
1882 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: Lorenzo Golding, Franch Creek, NY
1884 Assigned: Margaret A. Golding
1901 Assigned: Nellie A. Golding (daughter of Margaret), Chautauqua, NY
19?? Lot split into Westerly 25' to go with Lot 473 and Easterly 15' to go with Lot 471 (Presbyterian House)
1917 Chautauqua Institution lease: Presbyterian Association/ (E 15')


- All Six Segments -

1917 Chautauqua Institution lease: Presbyterian Association of Chautauqua, NY/ 576/158
1939 Chautauqua Institution deed: The Presbyterian Association of Chautauqua, New York, as represented by its Trustees c/o Edgar R. Tait, Chautauqua, NY/ In lieu of the 1917 leases(s)/ "It is understood and agreed that the Presbyterian Association shall not build within ten feet of the westerly line of the above described property."..."The said premises hereby deeded shall be used and occupied by the party of the second part for church purposes; the building thereon may be used as library and reading rooms and for holding social, literary and religious meetings and for the entertainment of guests, with the provision that before distributing gratuitously or otherwise denominational literature, such as tracts, books, etc. or conducting a circulating or other library containing denominational material or such similar activities, special permissiong therefore shall be first procured in writing from the President of Chautauqua Institution."/ 653/115
Note: This denominational headquarters building was erected in 1889, the first brick bilding on the Grounds.

Additional material available in the property file. See the Chautauquan Weekly, January 9, 1908.




Dates of Creation 2007
Collection The Arthur Wade Property File Collection
Search Terms Presbyterian House
Presbyterian Headquarters Committee
Presbyterian Association of Chautauqua
Tait, Edgar R.
Hunt, J.F.
Edwards, J.M.
Carley, Frank D.
Miller, Lewis
Crawford, John W.
Golding, Margaret A.
Sheeley, Mrs. R.L.
Golding, Nellie A.
Butler, Mrs. N.S.
McElheney, D.A.
Golding, Lorenzo
Real Estate
cottages
Object Name Property reference file
Classification Real Estate
Lexicon category 10: Unclassifiable Artifacts
Lexicon sub-category Need to Classify
Catalog type Archive
Dates of Accumulation 2007
Cottage Nickname Presbyterian House; Mary Willis House