|Title||Property Record of 1 Root Avenue|
|Scope & Content||
Property Record of 1 Root Avenue
- Lot 620 on Scott -
1876 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: A.N. Craft, George M. Lyons, Joseph Dixon, William W. Chase, Franklin S. Tarbell and Charles S. Barrett, all of Titusville, PA/ 99 years from 12 August 1876/ Term rent $150.00
1879 to 1912 a number of assignments of fractional interests in the 1876 lease were made between members of Titusville families/ An 1884 assignment included "...all my interest in the buildings erected on the land described."
1928 Chautauqua Institution lease: Mrs. Eleanor B. Barrett of Chautauqua, Trustees of the First Presbyterian Church of Titusville, PA and Miss Anna Joy of Titusville, PA
1929 The Institution bought the property from the 1928 leaseholders and added the vacant Lot to the adjacent yard of the President's House on Root Ave.
- Lot 872 on Root -
1880 Chautauqua Lake Sunday School Assembly lease: Mrs. Nancy E. Irwin, Pleasantville, PA and Mrs. S.J.M. Eaton, Franklin, PA/ 99 years from 20 Septmeber 1880/ Term rent $350.00
1889 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Mrs. Auzella C. Houston, Jamestown, NY
1891 Mrs. Houston split her Lot 871, next doork and sold the Southerly half to Miss Laura Adell Clapp of Rochester, NY to use with her lot 870.
- Lots N 1/2 871 & 872 on Root -
1891 Chautauqua Assembly lease: Mrs. Auzella C. Houston, Jamestown, NY
1896 A promissory note dated 4 September 1896 included "...she will at all times keep said property insured against fire for the sum of $2,000.00."
1908 Chautauqua Institution lease: Arthur E. Bestor, Chicago, Illinois/ (Dr. Bestor was elected President of the Institution in 1915 and served until his death in 1944/ His tenure of 29 years as President was longer than any before or since.)
1925 Agreement: The Institution bought the leasehold from Dr. Bestor for the purpose of establishing a President's House/ It was so used until 1972
- Lots N 1/2 871 & 872 & 620 -
1972 Chautauqua Institution deed: Richard H. Miller, Milwaukee, Wisconsin/ 1434/23
Additional material available in the property file. See The Chautauquan Daily, August 7, 1987, page 15 & August 25, 1971.
|Dates of Creation||2007|
|Collection||The Arthur Wade Property File Collection|
Trustees of the First Presbyterian Church of Titusville, PA
Barrett, Charles S.
Bestor, Arthur E.
Lyons, George M.
Chase, William W.
Tarbell, Franklin S.
Barrett, Eleanor B.
Irwin, Nancy E.
Eaton, Mrs. S.J.M.
Houston, Auzella C.
Clapp, Laura Adell
Miller, Richard H.
|Object Name||Property reference file|
|Lexicon category||10: Unclassifiable Artifacts|
|Lexicon sub-category||Need to Classify|
|Dates of Accumulation||2007|
|Cottage Nickname||The President's House|